One of my favourite things to eat are nori rolls. I bloody them. Being home a lot with the kids means that I don’t have the opportunity to eat them often so I came up with the idea a while back to make salads that are based on nori rolls. I’m sure this is not an original idea. I think it literally came to me one day after I made nori rolls for the kids and I couldn’t be bothered rolling any for myself.
Over the years I have tripped the salads up and now I try to pack in as much nutrition as I can. They are also handy because I have what I need in my fridge and pantry most of the time, and if you layer them right in a container are super easy to make the night before work. I have lofty ideas that my kids will one day like them as well. Aim for the stars right?
Like much of my cooking it isn’t very precise and is more about adding as much or as little of the things you like. Here we go!
Things you need to make one good sized salad:
- 3/4 cup rice – most weeks I cook up a fairly big batch of brown rice and quinoa mixed together, and keep it in the fridge to bulk up salads for the husband and I
- Raw veg – today I used iceberg lettuce sliced up, 1/2 grated carrot and 1/2 diced cucumber
- Protein – I used tinned tuna in olive oil and 1/4 avo but you could have your favourite nori roll filling such as smoked salmon or tofu or left over roasted meat even – yum!
- Toppers – 1/2 nori sheet cut up with kitchen scissors, sesame seeds and spring onion plus kewpie mayo and sriracha chilli sauce
- Dressing – 1/2 tbsp light soy and 1/2 tsp sesame oil.
How you do it:
- I absolutely don’t think you’re an idiot, but I know sometimes I like instructions even if it does seem super obvious.
- So, put the proportions of rice, veg and protein in the bowl.
- Dress the rice veg and protein with the soy and sesame oil – I just drizzle them out of the bottle.
- Add your toppers. Inspired by Japanese pancakes and the toppers you get on those I always like to make it look a bit pretty.
I don’t eat it all separated – I get amongst it and mix it all together and it looks like a mess but is so delicious – I kid you not!
Give it a go friends – you won’t regret it.